We Four Bears

A site about our family! Mostly or all actually of Josie and Dana. I mean who cares about us anymore anyway?

Friday, April 18, 2008

Nobody ever said parenting was easy....

So, if you read one of the post below you know that Josie recently converted to a big girl bed. I must say I am very proud of the way Alex and I (mostly Alex) have handled this transition. One of the things we have been most proud of with Josie is her sleeping habits. She can go to sleep on her own, no rocking, no holding, no whatever. Well, it was easy to train her to do that when she was in a crib, but now that she can get out of bed, it's been a little different. However,
Sunday night was her first night in the big girl bed. It took us about 45 minutes on Sunday night to get her to STAY in bed on her own. I have seen on Supernanny before how she suggests that parents just keep putting their kids back to bed, no matter how long it takes, and she guarantees that every night it will get shorter and shorter. Well, Alex just put Josie to bed tonight, Friday night, her 6th night in a big girl bed, and it took less than 5 minutes. This happened for me at naptime today too! It's amazing, but THEY CAN BE TAUGHT! That Supernanny knows what she is talking about.

So, for any parents out there with kids this age, or who will be going through a bedtime routine anytime soon, be strong, and it will totally pay off!

Now I mentioned that Alex was better at this than me. He very much is. I start to feel badly and want to lay down with Josie. But, I will remind myself of how Alex spent 30 minutes with her the other night, on his feet, standing in the hallway waiting for her to open the door so that he could put her back to bed, and I simply can't cave in knowing that I will undo all the work he has already done, and that would not be good. So, like I started this post, it wasn't easy this week, but nobody ever said parenting was, and it was totally worth it!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 5:48 AM, Blogger Marcy said…

    Yay! Good for you. =) Those little parenting triumphs feel pretty awesome, huh? We're working on setting up good sleep habits for Donovan, setting up a bedtime routine, etc. Last week it took us two hours to get him to sleep one night... these past few days he's been going down MUCH easier. I'll hope it sticks... though I know his habits tend to change like the wind, so we'll see what he throws at us next!

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger 3 Peas in a Pod said…

    Paula and Alex you are model parents. Cyrus and I were just saying that when Sophia comes we are going to be calling you for advice all the time!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home